A quick update on behalf of the lakeside team to keep you in the loop with all things lakes related.
Boat access arrangements: During lockdown we were busy preparing for a return to our sport fishing activity. We’ve worked on new procedures and created a purpose made ‘covid-19’ boat fishing video for customers to watch in advance of fishing at our waters. We’d encourage all anglers due to fish with us to take a look in advance of visiting the lakes. The video covers all of the fundamentals that you will need to know when visiting Chew Valley lake for boat fishing. Please check it out HERE.
Some key pointers include:
- NEVER travel to the fishery if you have covid-19 or are showing symptoms.
- The lodge will be open from 8am, gates will be open from 7am. You are welcome to arrive early but please remember to social distance; do not gather in a huddle near the entrance doors prior to opening, queue sensibly maintaining 2m’s distance.
- When staff are ready, the lodge will be opened. Please enter via the car park entrance door.
- Head to the alcove nearest the tackle shop entrance, office staff will ask both yourself and your boat partner to sign in. By doing so you are declaring that you have watched our boat fishing safety dvd and agree to acknowledge the Bristol water fishery rules, safety instructions and risk assessments. You and your boat partner MUST sign in every time you fish with us. You are not permitted to sign in on behalf of a boat partner. Use the hand sanitiser available before exiting the building via the lakeside door.
- Get your fishing tackle together and head down to the jetty areas. There will be two queue areas marked with social distancing floor markers. Queue in either area depending on your preferred jetty. Observe displayed finish fishing times on jetty walkways or ask staff.
- Pick up and don a lifejacket from this area. Lifejackets will be disinfected and hung up ready for you to grab.
- Await instructions of the staff member on the jetty gate, when jetty staff are ready they will instruct you and your boat partner to head onto the jetty.
- With care, load your boat and prepare to leave the jetty area. Try to be as quick as possible so that our team can get boats out swiftly and safely. Our team have been working this procedure for several months, it take as a little longer but we will get you out as soon as we can. We aim to get all boats out between 8-9am.
- On return follow guidance from jetty staff, you may be asked to hold back until the jetty area is clear.
- Return used lifejackets to the green bins nearest the jetty gates, the drying room will be locked.
- Complete catch return and drop in box nearest the back office door.
Bank fishing arrangements: Observe permitted access/exit times found HERE. Please be considerate of other lake users, always follow fishery rules and regulations. Failure to comply with fishery rules and regulations may result in a ban. Maintain social distancing on the bank and at entrance gates. We advise all bank anglers to bring hand sanitizer and face coverings with them.
Local lockdowns/restricted travel: We appreciate that in some areas nationally there are restrictions on travel and local lockdowns. Customers who are booked in to fish with us but who are unable to travel due to covid-19 restrictions should notify Bristol Water by email at email@example.com . Notice must be given at least 3 working days in advance of fishing dates. Our team will do their upmost to resell permits and issue refunds for permits sold. Permits purchased via Ticketsource may incur a small booking/cancellation fee. Customers will be notified of this fee upon receiving a request via email to surrender tickets. Our team will do the best they can to resell your permits. Under the circumstances, customers finding themselves in this challenging position will also be able to transfer permits to another person. Bristol Water must be notified of this transfer in advance of fishing.
Breakfast at The Woodford: The Woodford team will do their upmost to cater for basic breakfast provisions such as a bacon roll to take away etc. The team will try and take orders when the lodge opens and prepare whilst you are waiting to get out on the water. This offering is on a trial basis initially. For customers who aren’t in a rush to get out, a wider range of breakfast offerings will be available from 9am.
Baits: Sadly we will not be selling dead baits at our tackle shop this season. Please ensure you bring your own dead baits to the water. Only sea dead baits are permitted at our fishery.
Bristol Water Pike fishing competition: Due to the pressures on our team at this time of year sadly our Annual Bristol Water Pike Fishing competition will not be running.
Blagdon pike fly fishing: We have just a handful of boats remaining for our exclusive Blagdon pike Fly Fishing offering commencing soon. Please call the lodge on 01275 332339 to discuss available dates. Permits are sold first come first served and full details can be found HERE
The ‘and more’ bit….
Day boat permits: There will still be occasional day boat permits available for pike, perch and trout fishing via TicketSource. Numbers of permits available will be restricted on some days but there will be other days with good availability. Please keep a regular eye on TicketSource, Facebook and our Website pages for updates.
Lake and bank obstructions/hazards: Customers should note that areas of the lake are particularly shallow at present. Hidden obstructions such as tree stumps and shallow water can be found in various locations around the lake. Please take care to motor carefully to avoid them. The false Island, Nunnery point and the East shore area of the lake are particularly shallow at present. please take care when motoring in these areas.
Bank anglers should note unstable banks, particularly the north shore. Please take care when bank fishing and ensure bivvy’s etc are secured on stable ground.